Master WordPress using our step-by-step visual approach (over 330 screenshots). This book is a major new release for 2019, covering the latest version of WordPress.
Building a beautiful, professional looking WordPress website (or a blog), is no longer the domain of computer geeks. WordPress makes it conceivable for anyone to create and run a website that looks great on any device – PC, Mac, tablet and phone. Whether you need to build a business site, an affiliate site, a hobby site or a blog, WordPress is a great choice.
The primary goal of this book is to take anyone, even an absolute beginner, from zero to WordPress “guru” in a few short hours.
Inside this book, veteran WordPress expert Andy Williams will start at the very beginning. You’ll be able to learn important topics like:
• The two different versions of WordPress.
• Website hosting and domain registrars. How to set this up with separate registrar and host, for more security.
• How to install WordPress.
• An overview of the Dashboard including how to find hidden items.
• Cleaning out the stuff that is installed by default.
• Finding and installing WordPress themes to instantly change the feel and appear of your website.
• Plugins. What they are and how you’ll be able to use them to create magnificent websites.
• How to update WordPress, themes and plugins.
• Every single Dashboard setting, what they do, and what you should use in the settings of your website.
• How to find and use the RSS feeds on your site to help search engines find your content.
• The importance of user profiles, and how to assign a “Gravatar” image to your email address.
• How to create great navigation systems on your site, with custom menus, internal linking and related post sections.
• Enabling and dealing with visitor comments.
• Using the media library for images, video and more.
• The difference between pages and posts, and a simple way to know which one you should be using for each bit of content you publish on your website.
• Effective use of categories and tags. Using these incorrectly can get your site penalised or even banned from search engines.
• How to create content using both the Classic editor and the new Gutenberg editor.
• How to publish posts, and even schedule them so they are going to be published at some future date.
• Using post revisions.
• Two different types of homepage. A blog style page v a more traditional “static” homepage.
• Using widgets on your site to add neat features.
We’ll also cover those vital plugins every site need, including:
• Automatically take backups and get them sent to the cloud.
• Creating a contact page so visitors can contact you.
• Add a related posts section to the end of every post to keep visitors on site longer.
• Setup good SEO practices.
• Setup social sharing buttons on your site, so visitors can easily tell their friends about your great web pages.
Most people learn better when they may be able to in truth see what they are reading about, so one thing this book isn’t, is shy about screenshots. There are over 330 of them, showing you exactly what you’ll see on your screen, and prompting you to take specific actions as you learn and master WordPress. You may have heard that WordPress has a steep learning curve. With this book, you won’t even notice it. Each chapter ends with a “Tasks to Complete” section. By completing these tasks, You’ll be able to not only become proficient with WordPress, You’ll be able to become confident at using WordPress. By the end of the book, You’ll be able to be building great looking, professional WordPress websites that look unbelievable on any device… And You’ll be able to enjoy doing it!